Parmesan Roasted Zucchini
An easy, delicious zucchini recipe with crispy panko, salty parmesan, and bacon if you want it. This dish comes together in just 25 minutes, perfect for busy evenings, and a great way to get your veggies in!
- 6 medium zucchini (2 1/2 to 3 pounds total)
- Olive oil (or use bacon fat after cooking bacon)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Italian Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese bread flakes)
- 4 strips of bacon for bacon bits (OPTIONAL)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Trim the stem end of the zucchini, cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out a small channel of seeds with a regular teaspoon.
Place the zucchini in one layer on a sheet pan, brush generously all over with olive oil, and turn the zucchini cut side down. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and roast for 12 to 15 minutes, until just tender but still firm when tested with the tip of a small paring knife.
Step 3 (Optional)
Fry bacon strips until crispy.
Once cooled, cut into small pieces. Leave aside for topping on zucchini and mixture.
Meanwhile, make the bread crumbs. In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, parsley, basil, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the panko and 3 1/2 tablespoons of oil (or bacon fat) and mix well.
Turn the zucchini cut side up and spoon a heaping tablespoon of the panko mixture evenly on each zucchini. Bake for another 8 to 10 minutes, until the panko is crispy. Sprinkle bacon bits and some fresh basil on top of panko. Serve warm!